Wedding Cakes – Iced or Naked, How Do You Choose Yours?
Wedding Cakes – there are so many styles to choose from so how do you go about choosing one for your wedding day?
When photographing a wedding we are lucky enough to see some amazing cake designs, and we make sure we capture plenty of images of the wedding cake as it will feature prominently in our clients’s wedding albums. We photograph the cake from many different angles and often use these for a collage design on an album page. Our brides have gone to so much trouble to choose the style and design of their wedding cake we like to ensure their ideas are captured forever!
The two main types of cake we see are the traditional iced wedding cake – whether a sponge or fruit based filling – or a naked wedding cake where there is no icing surrounding the cake but rather layers of sponge dressed with flowers, fruits and cream and jam fillings inside.
So, what are the features (and benefits) of each type of cake:
Iced Wedding Cakes
- A traditional wedding cake finish with fruit or sponge cake.
- Individual cakes which can be stacked and stored after the wedding and kept as Christening cakes for a future date…
- Usually well structured cakes in stable tiers – typically 2-3 tiers but can be much higher with the right support.
- The opportunity to use a wide variety of finishes and decorations – piping, iced or painted.
- Can be combined with a tower or layer of cupcakes.
Naked Wedding Cakes
- A contemporary look – especially at rustic marquee and barn weddings.
- Beautiful to look at with the layers of sponge, jam, buttercream, etc. being visible. Quite a lot more unstable than a traditional iced cake!
- Often considered a healthier option with much less sugar than traditional iced cakes.
- Looks stunning with seasonal fresh fruit and flowers.
Below are some examples of gorgeous wedding cakes which we have photographed:
Whatever type of cake you choose for your wedding, or however you style your venue, Oakhouse Photography will capture the details for you to remember your special day and wedding cake, long after the last morsel has been eaten!!
Which is your preferred style of cake and how would you decorate it? We would love to hear from you!